What do you think about the Duggars?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics What do you think about the Duggars?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  teresa_marie 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

What do you guys think about people who shun all birth control including NFP (like the Duggars with 17 kids from the Discovery Channel)? I think they seem like a very Christian family, but I think that the idea that even NFP is evil is really out there. How many people could ever afford to have a baby every year until menopause? I’ve heard they’re part of a movement of Protestants who call themselves the “Full Quiver Movement,” who shun all birth control/planning.

mommandm

I’ve heard of the quiverfull movement. They actually have a website, I don’t remember the addy. I guess if you’re able, then more power to you! I’ve seen them on TV, they seem to function pretty well and their kids seem really sweet.

I have followed their story for several years and they have their own website too. They seem like a rather nice family, however, I can’t see how giving birth that many times can be healthy for your body, especially since she got pregnant each year (just about). What shocks me is how YOUNG they both still look. Course, they have a endless amount of money so no stress in that department! Not for me (since I’m 32, I don’t even think I have enough years left to have that many kids!) but I think they are a neat family who really know how to work together.

rosannajames

I think we have to be careful not to judge people on their family size. God after all is the author of life! If He allowed a pregnancy, He must have wanted it. Every person is another potential soul for the Kingdom of Heaven. How blest are they who put their trust in Him!

Yes, each one of those children is so well-behaved and kind– they’re doing a lot better than some people with 1/2 kids.

hoosierette

8O

The Duggars do annoy me more than other quiver full families. Probably because they are pimping their lifestyle on TV for money and publicity. It bugs me. I admit it fully. Especially when you throw in their tax-exempt status. (I really do need to start worshiping Mighty Mouse and form my own home-based church so I too, can enjoy this little benefit) It just sickens me. They pimp themselves to a world that they don’t even approve of. How much more hypocritical can someone get?

I don’t have a problem with the stereotypical gender roles that they adhere to. I don’t even have a problem with the Little House on the Prairie wardrobe. I have a problem with a group of hypocrites who are pimping themselves on national TV…not only for the money because it is individual people’s choice to watch the show or not, and if people don’t want to watch, then they wouldn’t be on, but also the whole political aspirations of Jim Bob being furthered by this. So, it’s okay to appeal to the outside world of which they don’t approve, as long as it furthers their crazy aspirations? Either stick to the lifestyle and live it, or admit that they are a bunch of hypocrites. Other quiver full families don’t attempt to mainstream themselves. They know it’s their personal choice, don’t seek public approval, and just continue on.

And I really have a problem with children raising children and taking care of the household, while mom sits on her tush cranking out the next one. I get no impression that Michelle is a hands on mother after those children hit 3mos. old. Once they hit that age she hands them off and starts working on the next one. It’s sick. The human body wasn’t made to handle it either. She’ll be dead by the time she’s 50, and her uterus will be gone long before then. It isn’t healthy, nor something to aspire to.

rosannajames

Again I think we should be careful not to judge other people! Let God be the judge!

gwtw

I’m torn on this subject. I do enjoy watching the TLC shows about them, and have vistited their website. I don’t really think that their family looks like this all the time ( off camera). When they were working on their house, they were all helping out, but they were in their best matching clothes, and all of the girls had that long hair flowing. I think some “work clothes”, and some hair ties would have been in use if the cameras weren’t rolling!

Also, everything seems way too organized and staged, even down to the childrens responses and actions. Although it is nice to have help from the older children, and having an older sibling ‘in charge’ of another for morning care, etc., it does seem a bit odd to have hardly any time for that child after only a few months.

They do seem to enjoy their lifestyle, and each other, and the Lord.

I never heard anything about their tax exempt status…..

To each his own , I guess. :?:

Pam

jc

@luvbeinamommy wrote:

I have followed their story for several years and they have their own website too. They seem like a rather nice family, however, I can’t see how giving birth that many times can be healthy for your body, especially since she got pregnant each year (just about). What shocks me is how YOUNG they both still look. Course, they have a endless amount of money so no stress in that department! Not for me (since I’m 32, I don’t even think I have enough years left to have that many kids!) but I think they are a neat family who really know how to work together.

I don’t think it is any harder on your body than anything else, really! I say more power to them and I’d love to have that many! :D

jc

@GWTW wrote:

I’m torn on this subject. I do enjoy watching the TLC shows about them, and have vistited their website. I don’t really think that their family looks like this all the time ( off camera). When they were working on their house, they were all helping out, but they were in their best matching clothes, and all of the girls had that long hair flowing. I think some “work clothes”, and some hair ties would have been in use if the cameras weren’t rolling!

Also, everything seems way too organized and staged, even down to the childrens responses and actions. Although it is nice to have help from the older children, and having an older sibling ‘in charge’ of another for morning care, etc., it does seem a bit odd to have hardly any time for that child after only a few months.

They do seem to enjoy their lifestyle, and each other, and the Lord.

I never heard anything about their tax exempt status…..

To each his own , I guess. :?:

Pam

I wouldn’t be so sure about them not looking like that all the time. I knew a family that converted from Protestantism to Catholicism that were a “quiverful” family, and they DID look like that all the time, even while doing their chores.

sunnyone

I was enthralled by this family on Discovery. I have four kids, and mine are nothing like theirs!! What bothered me the most was that they had a home-based church, run out of their house. And then to support it, had a huge baseball fundraiser. I never thought of having a fundraiser for myself. What a good idea! Work has been kinda slow for my husband this year!

One thing is certain, that they love each other, and love God. Who can complain about that?

gina

They just had another baby!

My only thought is that if they’re part of the quiverful movement, when is the quiver full? Maybe mine is already full with two, and maybe theirs won’t be full until another baby. It’s just something I wonder about the quiverful crowd, kwim?

But, only God knows. And He has blessed their family just as He blesses every family. It seems to me they are doing well. None of the children look disgruntled in the photos. ;)

teresa_marie

I don’t have a really strong opinion on the Duggars. They seem happy, their children seem well-adjusted and thriving, and the couple is happy with their path in life. What more could I want for them?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.