The da vinci code

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums I Love the Movies! The da vinci code

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  allflowerz 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

loloengland

This friday the da vinci code is opening in britain… Obviously there is much talk about it.
    what are your views?
    Is anyone going to see it?
    I read the book.. and took it for what it is.. a story.But am in two minds whether to see film.
    Am interested to no what you think?
    Lorraine

anonymous

Lorraine,
    I read the book too and like you took it for what it was a fiction book. I probably won’t see the movie just because we rarely get out to the movies. I will probably see it when it goes to DVD.

Stephanie

mama2_boys

Here are my thoughts on The Da Vinci Code. I understand that it is a work of fiction and the story itself is an interesting one. However, I have to ask myself one question. If Jesus were standing next to me right now (or in the line at the movies) would I be willing to hand over my money to view a movie that casts such an unfavorable light on the Church and Christ himself?? I personally refuse to support the movie in any way. I know that by viewing it I, as well as most other Chrisians, would not doubt my beliefs in any way. Those that I am concerned about however are those who do not have strong beliefs either way. It is those people who are much more likely to be swayed to believe false things about Christ and his church. Do I really want to support another thing that will lead people to have ill thoughts about the Church and will no doubt slam the door to Christianity for many who had previously left it open a crack? I am very concerned about this movie. My dh said this morning that he had read an article that said that those who had viewed the movie in Britain were twice as likely to believe that Jesus may have fathered a child/children and were more likely to have unfavorable feelings about the Catholic Church. Do we really need that???

Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant and rave on my soap box this morning. I am now stepping down! :lol:

Have a great day ladies! :D

anonymous

I received our Catholic Times newspaper yesterday and our bishop’s editorial was about The DaVinci Code. He mentioned a website put together by the US Conference of Bishops. I have not had a chance to look at it yet but the website it http://www.jesusdecoded.com If you have a minute you may want to check it out

shannon

I read the book and went Friday night to see it. I loved the movie. I was surprised that I liked it because the book was so good. I think it is a fictional story and a really good thriller. I think there is way too much contraversy over this book/movie. Just because we go to see movies like Harry Potter does not mean that we believe in such “black magic.” There are plenty more important things for people to get worked up about.

josie

I definitely am NOT supporting the movie or the book which blasphemes the Church and Christ himself. It doesn’t matter if it is fiction or not. How insulting to me as a Catholic that Dan Brown would go out of his way, to dog on the Church. Jesus is God, never married, never had children and no, the Church, is not anti-woman…

It is sad that there are Catholics out there that are apathetic to the bigger picture this movie mis-represents. Besides, there is much better fiction out there!

I believe that reading things like this can hinder our soul’s growing closer to God. “As long as our mind is giddy with carnal images it will never be able to contemplate…because there are as many obstacles binding it as there are thoughts pulling it hither and thither. Hence, for the soul to contemplate the invisible nature of God, the first step must be:let it be recollected within itself.” St. Gregory the Great, “Homilies on Ezechiel, 2, 5″

Just my 2 cents,
    Josie

anonymous

Last Sunday at mass our Priest talked about the DaVinci Code. He went through several of the lies told in the book/movie and he even talked about the website I listed in my previous post. He ended his homily with saying that he wouldn’t tell us not to see the movie but be educated about the facts so you can answer questions if people are confused about what is fact and what is not. I still think I will see the movie when it comes out on DVD(but that might mean I would have to have time to sit and watch a movie).

lynnt

My problem with TDC is mostly that Dan Brown presented it as based in fact. And it wasn’t. That is a total lie. His supposed “research” consisted of reading 3 books that were ALL speculation and NOT grounded in any historical fact. And all of the art history he presents as being accurate is NOT. All DaVinci biographers and historians were amazed that he would even claim the doo doo that he did about DaVinci in the book.

Had he just released this as the fiction it was, I really don’t think there’d be this much controversy.

I read the book and read The Da Vinci Hoax (I Recommend that one!) to get all the facts straight so the next person that asked about it, I could intelligently disupte the so-called facts in the book.

I did go see the movie. I know, bad Catholic. But I had heard that the writers had changed some of the dialogue to show the main character, Langdon, defending Christianity in a crucial expository scene. And he did…the character made sure to say a few times that the whole Magdalene thing was speculation, that the whole Constantine thing was not entirely true. So that was actually a tad refreshing…however, it still propogated the Magdalene myth. I’m not sorry I spent the money to see it. Because now I feel even more ingrained in my faith. And honestly, I think the movie made the whole Magdalene myth seem silly…alot sillier than the book did. Like my dh said, how can anyone see this movie and take it seriously…there is something really wrong with them.

I really think people will look for any excuse to defame Catholicism. Anyone that had a “crisis in faith” after reading this…well, I have to question their actual faith.

loloengland

Its great to hear other catholic views.I must admit i did want to see the film but now i dont think i will bother,
    The thing that gets me is ,if this was a film about allah ,we would have a war on our hands but catholic,christians, we seem to brush a side.,people critisizing our faith.
    Do feel we should all stand up and be counted.

sahm-o-my

I was not interested in reading the book, whatsoever, and am still not. I have little reading time, so I’d rather spend it on my magazines and journals I actually pay for.

I admit, I was a bit diappointed to find out that Ron Howard was directing and Tom Hanks was starring in the film. Two of my favorites in Hollywood (though they certainly don’t top the list). I like actors and actresses who take, or don’t take, rolls based on their ethics and principles, or who, at least, don’t use award ceremonies to profess their political beliefs. :roll: But, I saw an interview where Ron Howard kept referring to it as a work of fiction and that is simply what he directed was another movie that was a work of fiction. That, I can handle.

So, I look at it as a work of fiction. I feel those who change or loose their faith over the book or the movie, never had very strong faith or beliefs, either way. This saddens me, and perhaps, some day they’ll find the errors in their way. I can only pray for them, for now. Which I do.

I, myself, do not plan to read the book. Not much into reading novels, anyhow. I’m more into self-improvement, spiritual enlightenment, learning about my faith, or other books that help me somehow (i.e. I’ve been reading Easy HTML for eBay to improve my eBay auctions, gardening books, recipe books, books on being a Mystery Shopper, books on getting published, writing for children’s publications, and freelance writing, investing books, real estate books, books on the Rosary, Catholic Faith, etc…. I used to read various parenting books, but I’ve pretty much got my own style, right now… just wait until they become teenagers!!! More Books!!!). You get the idea!!!!

As for seeing the movie… I view it very similar to other movies that get my interest but I don’t wish to support their ideals. I’ll get it when it comes on DVD to the Library!!!! I won’t rent it, as that supports the movie. I won’t buy it or see it in any theatre, as that supports the movie. I’ll borrow it from the library or see it when it comes to TV or cable. I did this with A.I; Artificial Intelligence, The Day After Tomorrow (both dealt with Global Warming, which, sorry to say, I don’t believe in), and I plan to borrow Micheal Moore’s movie about 9/11 from the library (just to laugh at it!)…

We see very few movies, out. We usually go to the drive-in, as with 4+ kids, it’s easier and cheaper. I’d very much like to see the movie about the 9/11 flight that the passengers fought back (can’t remember the name, currently, it escapes me)… I’ll pay for that! I’ll pay for quality children’s movies and some select G movies, and some PG. We paid a lot to see Lord of the Rings movies, several times, and Star Wars movies, several times. We saw Jonah, A VeggieTales Movie 3 times, opening weekend to support it, and paid for our nieces and nephews to see it, as well! I’d like to own Passion of the Christ, and wish I could have paid to see it three times opening weekend, or at all (I was basically, “out of commission” that whole time… augh!!!)!!!

Spiderman II and Spiderman are some of my favorite movies. I liked Fantastic 4. We paid to see these. Spiderman III, I’ll support in opening weekend, as we did for Spiderman II. Not to mentiong Superman and Batman (the new one). I love Xmen, but it’s not an opening weekend type of movie (that’s the numbers that the execs really look at). We are not going to see MI:3. Just lost so much interest in Tom Cruise!

Babbling!!! You get the idea and my opinion.

I stick with it’s a work of fiction. I’ll take it or leave it, but I won’t believe it! Although, one of my favorite talk show hosts mentioned that he’d be very upset if someone made a movie about his father and it was a work of fiction, and completely false, and everyone knew it, but, yet, it was out there for everyone to see, if they so desired. It made me think. I’d be very POd if they did that to my dad!!! Or even someone I knew, for that matter. Don’t I know God and Jesus?! So, on that line of thought, I’m offended and upset. I’m simply not seeing the movie. I’m letting my money and my feet do the talking. It WILL NOT get any support or backing from me.

Babbling…
    God Bless!!!

sahm-o-my

@LynnT wrote:

Like my dh said, how can anyone see this movie and take it seriously…there is something really wrong with them.

I really think people will look for any excuse to defame Catholicism. Anyone that had a “crisis in faith” after reading this…well, I have to question their actual faith.

Agreed!!! Amen to that!

allflowerz

The book was great, the movie was a lame take on it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.