Tattoos

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kaliya 3 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

So i got a tattoo when i was younger but i am not sure how it is viewed in the religion.

Any answers?

-Melissa

There’s no teaching against it. As long as it’s not heretical or sacrilegious, it’s fine.

ashersmomma

I think alot of people still think that tattoos are sinful because of what the Old Testement has to say about them…

Leviticus 19:28
    You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.

However, only nine verses earlier in the same chapter (Leviticus 19:19) the people of Israel were also commanded to avoid mixing fibers in garments: no poly/cotton mixes then ladies :wink: !! It also says that men should not shave their beards and that you should not mix 2 different kinds of seed in a field. Obviosely, the Isrealites had a very strict code to live by…not to say that God doesnt still care about the everyday parts of our lives. God was starting a nation of the chosen and needed strict rules and obdience if His nation was ever going to last throughout the ages. There was no such thing as “modern medicine” let alone sterilization. Having a tattoo meant taking a big chance on a life threatening infection. God was all about cleanliness!! No pork: pigs notoriousely will eat anything and it spoils too quickly therefore, deeming it “unclean”.

I personally do not have a tattoo and even if I was brave enough to get one I would have no idea what to get…I mean, it’s forever!!! I did, however, pierce my navel when I turned 18…rite of passage I suppose. Thank God it stretched back to normal after being pregnant!!

I did a thorough search on this, AND enlisted the Deacon who is the parish administrator at my church…. our findings: There is no Catholic teaching against it! However, there IS teaching against piercings in the Catechism (CCC, 364).

ashersmomma

Ears too!?!?! Wow, I had no idea….oops. Well, it was all done before I was Catholic. I will have to check into that before my daughter is begging me to pierce her ears.

I think that it refers to major body piercings; the type that seriously disfigure the human shape ~ the word “mutillation” was used. I really don’t think that anyone (esp. in the States) would get bent over simple ear piercings ~ unless they were very conservative. (Mine are pierced too!)

gabriella

I guess you can argue that ear piercings are mutilations. Whether it is a small hole in your ear or a huge hole in your ear or nose, it’s still a piercing. But as the previous poster said, there are a lot of rules or commandments in the Bible that aren’t followed or well known today. I can see how tattoos or piercings or mutilation can be seen as wrong and forbidden in extreme and strict religious sects. Although I would also add that cosmetic surgery would be wrong too. While most people wear a cross necklace to show there love for Jesus, some people have a cross tattoo to show their love.

kaliya

This site use full to all around the would, use it develop both………
    this site use of all the would and system news and helps known every one………..
    Online Medical Transcription

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.