Skipping Vaccines

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics Skipping Vaccines

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  amby 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

elisa

How do you all feel about vaccines?

I feel uneasy. I have a friend who didn’t give her baby any. I think she said she will when he’s older.

I keep reading/hearing how some vaccines don’t work or cause other health problems.

How do you all feel about it?

jen

good question–i researched some, but not all and my son has gotten all that were recommended…i just always felt like it was the less of the two risks…???…good luck to you!
    jen

westcoastmum

Good topic!

I live in a city with many (should I say *many*) conscientious objectors to vaccines. I work for Community Health but even before then, as a SAHM, I researched on my own (not just Alive Magazine, but creditable medical studies) and determined that I couldn’t live with myself if my child died of pertussis when it is preventable. What sealed it for me is that some of the health food store “experts” claimed that “no one was ever hurt by polio.” WHAT? I told my Grandma that and she screamed. She was the mother of four when kids all over the prairies were being made ill and dying of polio and they didn’t know what was causing it or how to stop it.

One big factor for me to consider being pro-vaccine is (because some of the mothers I know won’t vaccinate because they say that polio has mostly been erradicated) that our city is a major centre of immigration from third-world countries where these diseases ARE active. So our children could be exposed.

I know that there are arguments about vaccines causing Autism, but, from what I’ve read, nothing in a credible study is conclusive and it seems to be more a timing thing – that the symptoms become apparent around the time that vaccines are routinely given. I know others will disagree, and that’s fine, but this is why I decided to fully support the vaccine schedules for our family.

My third DS had had two rounds of his vaccines when he and I were exposed to some kids with active pertussis. My vaccines of course were done ages ago and probably not as effective, and he still had one series left. My two older boys were fine, but babe and I were quite sick with what was deemed a “mild” case of whooping cough. Well, let me tell you, as I lay fevered on the floor after coughing till throwing up for the umpteenth time and my older two boys played happily around me I resolved that if I ever get a full-blown case of pertussis I don’t even want to think about it. It was horrible. And baby was about six months and he, too, would cough till he threw up. He wasn’t as bad as I was and our GP attributed that to the fact I was breastfeeding and had passed antibodies to him as well.

I could go on. We have a very knowledgeable CDC nurse and I’ve run loads of questions by her. She always gives me data-based answers. Her favourite is that there is more iodine in a can of tuna than in any of the current vaccines (because some mothers raise that as a reason not to vaccinate).

So that’s me and my reasoning. Sorry for babbling. Great topic.

Night everyone!

Karen

anonymous

Great topic and one that often times people really disagree on.

I however never gave too much thought to not giving my boys the necessary vaccines plus the flu vaccine every winter. I have looked into some of the vaccines but I have never found any real credible sources/studies when it came to saying you shouldn’t give your child vaccines. Prior to staying at home I worked as a health teacher in the public schools and also a educator in the community health field and was taught about the vaccines and the reasons we should have our children vaccinated. Like Karen we used to live in an area where there were tons of imigrants from countries where many of the dieases are still active and we could have been exposed to. In the end I wuld much rather be safe then sorry.

Several vaccines are made using aborted fetuses. That makes me really unhappy, and after much stewing, I’ve chosen not to give my children some vaccines – notably the MMR and the chicken pox vaccines. My oldest 2 children have all the vaccines, my 3rd child will not get the MMR booster, and my 2 youngest will not get the chicken pox or the MMR. There are moral alternatives for measles and mumps, but no moral alternatives for rubella or chicken pox.

There is a website, http://www.cogforlife.org, that has much more information. For me, it’s not about the possible health risks or the mercury or anyhting else. It’s all about taking a stand against the use of aborted fetuses.

elisa

Michelle,
    Thanks for that link. I gave my son all of the vaccinations the first time, but this time, I am stopping all of them except for Polio and the DTaP (the tetanus and whooping cough). I also have a brochure that says which vaccines have been made from aborted fetal tissue.

That website is great! I am loving it! Thanks for the link…that is a great resource! And it has a spot in there to search for a pro-life doctor in your area! Unfortunately, none for TX :(

michelle123

Wow! I had no idea! :cry:

I really wish this were something that was publicized more!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the information!!!!

elisa

I just read the book called: “Vaccines: Are they really save and effective?” It talks about each individual vaccine/disease and has statistics and charts.

All I can say is…I am so glad that my son didn’t have any reactions to his first round of shots, but I am giving him no more.

Here is the website for the Think Twice Global Vaccine Institute http://www.thinktwice.com

and personal stories of people whose babies have died or had severe reactions to vaccinations.

http://thinktwice.com/stories.htm

westcoastmum

Hi everyone:

I asked our CDC nurse about the claim on that website that vaccines are made from aborted fetuses. She said she has never heard of that, but is investigating further and will confirm either way – with sources.

Each mother has to decide for herself what choice she makes, but I personally – the journalist in me – like to confirm claims (especially those made on the internet or in lifestyle magazines) and survey experts for more than one opinion.

I would encourage others to check the sources of the claims made by some of those who are against vaccines. Areas with high rates of concientious objectors are experiencing waves of communicable disease thought eradicated – witness UK and midwest US in recent years. There are many other factors that may determine why a baby dies or is diagnosed with autism – I always look for evidence by credible medical studies and researchers. I’m sorry, as tragic as anecdotal evidence is, it doesn’t carry the weight with me that evidence-based research does.

I’ll let you all know what the CDC nurse and I find out about the aborted baby tissue claim.

Karen

lynnt

@westcoastmum wrote:

Hi everyone:

I asked our CDC nurse about the claim on that website that vaccines are made from aborted fetuses. She said she has never heard of that, but is investigating further and will confirm either way – with sources.

Each mother has to decide for herself what choice she makes, but I personally – the journalist in me – like to confirm claims (especially those made on the internet or in lifestyle magazines) and survey experts for more than one opinion.

I would encourage others to check the sources of the claims made by some of those who are against vaccines. Areas with high rates of concientious objectors are experiencing waves of communicable disease thought eradicated – witness UK and midwest US in recent years. There are many other factors that may determine why a baby dies or is diagnosed with autism – I always look for evidence by credible medical studies and researchers. I’m sorry, as tragic as anecdotal evidence is, it doesn’t carry the weight with me that evidence-based research does.

I’ll let you all know what the CDC nurse and I find out about the aborted baby tissue claim.

Karen

Thanks Karen! This is how I feel, too. Please do let us know what you find out. I’m very pro-vaccine b/c I am more worried about my kids getting a preventable disease than I am about the side effects. You have to weigh the risks of vaxing vs. non-vaxing and go with what you are most comfortable with, and vaxing is what makes me more comfortable. :)

josie

Elisa,

I have not given either of my children vaccinations – yet anyway. I read, what I think, is a good book called “What You’re Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations”. The author is not absolutely opposed to vaccinations but does believe you should wait until the child’s body can handle it.

At this point, I think we’re simply waiting until the children are closer to school age.

Also, I have heard about some vaccinations being developed using aborted babies. Janet Smyth had talked about this.

God bless,
    Josie

elisa

Hey Josie,

Yeah, that’s basically what I’m doing. I believe that babies are just too young to be getting vaccinations. So, I am also going to wait until he is older. The reason they start babies off so early on vaccinations is because they think you are more likely to keep getting your kids vaccinated if you follow the recommended schedule. I just think it’s better to wait until kids are a bit older.

Yeah, I know that a lot of vaccines are made using aborted fetal tissue.

amby

I couldn’t vote..hmm

I gave my kids all the vaccines that were/are recommened. I refuse to take the chance of my kids getting something that is preventable. I don’t believe that it gives kids Autism. People are trying to find a reason that their kids have something, but other kids don’t. It’s not fair for them, and it’s hard (trust me I know, I work with people who have a wide range of disablities including Autism), but I will still vaccinate my kids.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.