Rosary for children?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! Rosary for children?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lynnt 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

anewlight07

I am in the process of converting (former Lutheran) and will begin RCIA in mid-January. I would like for my children to start learning the about the Rosary and how to pray the Rosary with me.

Any advice on this from seasoned Catholic Moms? Should I get them their own? If so, where? What do you do w/ your kids and prayer?

Thanks, any advice is helpful!

fredar

Hi and welcome to the group and the Catholic Church!

How old are your kids?

My kids have their own. They are just the cheap plastic kiddie ones for now as they are quite young (ages 5, 3, and 1). They will each get a “real” rosary for their first Communion.

We sometimes all say the rosary together, but not everyday. My oldest is expected (and able) to kneel for the entire rosary and follow along on the beads, but does not yet say the prayers. My middle boy can kneel for about half, but cannot follow accurately on the beads or say the prayers, and then he leaves. Baby will play with his rosary for about five minutes and then he’s gone. All of this is okay with me. Based on my oldest boy’s current abilities, I expect that he will be able to recite the prayers with me by the time he makes his first Communion. This is my goal for each one and for now I am gradually working my way up to this.

There are kids books and coloring books available at religious goods stores about the rosary. I plan to get each boy a coloring book. I also teach my boys a kids catechism program which has a lesson on the rosary (it’s the Image of God program by Ignatius Press if you’re interested. It has programs from preschool through I think grade 9). EWTN also has a rosary for kids program that I was thinking of checking out, to see if it will make the rosary a little more interesting for them.

I hope this helps,
    Freda

anewlight07

I checked out the Ignatius Press catechism cirricula. It looks like something that might be of use to us, too. We home school at the moment. However, I’m hoping to enter him into a Catholic school when the one affiliated with the parrish we plan to join opens. He’ll also be starting RE asap.

My oldest is only 6 right now and my youngest is 3 (with one on the way). I hope to home school each through 3rd grade and then enter them back into a “regular” school environment.

I’m just hoping the new school will be built by the time our oldest is the age for 3rd grade. We will start 2nd grade material in Feb, so he’s a little ahead, but I plan for him to be in with his age-mates.

lynnt

I got a Rosary CD from the Mary Foundation (through http://www.catholicity.com) to listen to in the car. Now my 4 yr old asks to listen to it Alll the time! She likes reciting along with it. She also has her own plastic rosary, but really gets a kick when I let her use mine.

We started with just one decade and that’s all I say with her right now. That’s just where her attention span is. Older children can probably do more.

Just be consistent with it, let them see you reciting it…it’ll “click” with them. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.