meatless fridays is it a sin

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions meatless fridays is it a sin

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  teresa_marie 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

kimmylee

is it a sin to eat meat on friday if you only have like say some grnd meat in the frig and nothing else to feed everyone? or are you just supposed to wait until midnight to eat or abstain or what…

i always wondered this as to how it pertains to families with little income.

michelle123

I think it probably still applies. My Mom grew up in a house with very little money. I remember hearing about meals during the Great Depression where they would have just old bread with sugar on it and a splash of milk instead of cereal or whatever. If I’m mistaken…someone tell me…but I had to hear Mom’s “There’s no excuse to eat meat” lectures as a teenager with the “We were so poor” stories attached! :lol:

If you have an Aldi store near you, you can get loaves of bread for like a quarter. I’ve gotten packets of meatless noodles and sauce for like 69 cents! It IS possible to do it on even under a dollar! I get great joy in seeing how little I can spend on a meal. It’s kinda fun if you go about it with the right attitude. :D Also…if you’re talking about kids under the age of reason…..they’re ALLOWED to eat the meat anyways, so at least they are covered for the meal.

If you can’t come up with even a dollar, though….you could contact Catholic Charities for emergency food $$. I’ve heard from people that they are wonderful. :D

Good luck and stay positive! :D

kimmylee

ok so what if it means wasting the meat wouldn’t that be wrong? if its already been frozen and then defosted and there is leftover meat and the kids can only eat so much

michelle123

Hmmm….you could cook it and refrigerate it to use Saturday? Just an idea?

Or….if it’s so close to spoiling that 24 hours would make a difference, you probably shouldn’t eat it anyways?

:D

tana

You can offer act of charity in its place. An extra offering in the poor box, praying for others, doing something for others, etc. all done with the intention of substituting it for the fasting from meat. It is an excercise done to forget about yourself out Love for God. And doing those other things can help do that for you too.

The following is from the U.S. Bishops (USCCB)

Voluntary fasting from food creates in us a greater openness to God’s Spirit and deepens our compassion for those who are forced to go without food. The discomfort brought about by fasting unites us to the sufferings of Christ. Fasting should bring to mind the sufferings of all those for whom Christ suffered. One may refrain from certain foods strictly for dietary purposes, but this would not be Christian penance. Rather, our fasting and refraining is in response to the workings of the Holy Spirit. By fasting we sense a deeper hunger and thirst for God. In a paradoxical way, we feast through fasting—we feast on the spiritual values that lead to works of charity and service. Did not the prophet Isaiah proclaim that such works characterize the fasting that God desires?

This . . . is the fasting that I wish:
    releasing those bound unjustly,
    untying the thongs of the yoke;
    Setting free the oppressed,
    breaking every yoke;
    Sharing your bread with the hungry,
    sheltering the oppressed and the homeless;
    Clothing the naked when you see them,
    and not turning your back on your own. (Is 58:6-7)

HTH, Tana

josie

POC: Tana is right EXCEPT during Lent; Tana probably didn’t realize the original post was back during Lent. It IS a mandatory to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent…

tana

It is required Fridays during Lent, but also every Friday of the year. That never changed-what changed was the subsitution for the meatless Friday for an act of charity. People just heard that it wasn’t required and thought it was done away with. . . Tana

akbenoit

Intresting summary of fasting may be found at:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0501bt.asp

Angela

britestar

Kimmylee,
    Greetings and Happy 4th of July to all!
    In regards to eating meat on Fridays, Holy Mother Church has requested that we refrain from meat on Ash Wed., Fridays of Lent, Good Friday.
    Pre-Vatican II people made it a way of life to not eat meat on all Fridays as an act of repentance for their sins and the sins of the whole world.
    Today, people eat meat on Fridays except for the above requests.

I hope this information helps everyone understand the “thinking” of Mother Church.

Have a blessed day.
    Britestar

teresa_marie

We have a low income as well (one teacher and one full time student) and we have found that being vegan (no meat or dairy products) is much more economical for us. Meat was so expensive as are dairy products.

So we will have any two veggies (frozen or fresh) maybe beans, or rice, potato, etc (these are just some examples of what we eat.

And we are able to get a full nutritional diet without meat or dairy.

I think giving an extra offering is a fabulous idea.

teresa_marie

We are also observing the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays (ok we’re vegan so again not an issue). Tonight we had vegan “chicken” nuggets and a nice big salad.

The total meal was:

nuggets: 3.59
    lettuce: 2.89
    4 tomatoes (I used 2): 2.59
    small tub of sliced mushrooms: 1.79
    carrots (1 lb): 1.29
    croutons: .89

This is a bit pricey compared to our normal meals because I splurged and bought the nuggets.

Last night I made Shepherd’s Pie using:

lentils
    mashed potatoes
    frozen corn
    frozen green beans
    frozen peas
    carrots

It was AWESOME!!

Dried beans are really economical and can be used to create yummy meals.

I make my own refried beans (using pinto or black beans) and you can even make your own tortillas using maize flour (also inexpensive).

Hope this helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.