Invalid Baptisms?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions Invalid Baptisms?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  catholicmoms 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sunnyone

Have any of you heard the vatican’s release of the news that if the words used during your baptism were wrong, you were never baptized and need to do it over???

The correct words are, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit”. Apparently, some priests used ” I baptise you by the Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifyer” and this is wrong.

I feel like the vatican is confusing and angering people. This seems like a crazy thing to do and I am worried we will lose more Catholics.
    What do you think?

The Lord Jesus himself has told us to baptize in “The name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” The baptisms using the words ” I baptise you by the Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifyer” were begun by feminist nuns.

To read the authentic teaching of the church, which has been handed down by our church forefathers, read the CCC paragraphs 1214-1274.

As an aside note, even those who are baptized in the name of God do not receive valid baptisms.

What you quoted is not the teaching of the Vatican, but rather that of Christ himself.

catholicmoms

This is what the Vatican has to say about it… just for clarification. I would think some people wouldn’t know what formula was used if they are adults now… how could they remember?

Have a Blessed Day,
    Renee, moderator

(see below)

On the Correct Formula for Baptism

Responses Released by Doctrinal Congregation

VATICAN CITY, FEB. 29, 2008 (Zenit.org).- Here are the responses published today by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on the validity of baptism conferred with two specific formulas.

� * *

RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS PROPOSED?on the validity of Baptism conferred with the formulas?�I baptize you in the name of the Creator, and of the Redeemer, and of the Sanctifier�?and �I baptize you in the name of the Creator, and of the Liberator, and of the Sustainer�

QUESTIONS

First question: Whether the Baptism conferred with the formulas �I baptize you in the name of the Creator, and of the Redeemer, and of the Sanctifier� and �I baptize you in the name of the Creator, and of the Liberator, and of the Sustainer� is valid?

Second question: Whether the persons baptized with those formulas have to be baptized in forma absoluta?

RESPONSES

To the first question: Negative.

To the second question: Affirmative.

The Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, approved these Responses, adopted in the Ordinary Session of the Congregation, and ordered their publication.

Rome, from the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, February 1, 2008.

William Cardinal Levada
    Prefect

Angelo Amato, S.D.B.?Titular Archbishop of Sila
    Secretary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.