Husband does not go to church

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Marriage Forum Husband does not go to church

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  josie 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

pia

Hello, Im new to this community. I’m married for five (5) years with two (2) kids. I have a problem with my husband. He doesnt go to mass regularly. This started when he got tired of listening to the homily of an old priest. Right now, he’s digusted with some people whom he knows to be regular church goers because some of those also does not behave as they should. Now, I have a problem with my 5 year old son also doesnt want to go to church anymore because of what he sees with his father. Any advice/suggestion? [/img]

mommandm

I guess maybe gently explain to him that bad behavior (missing mass!) can’t change bad behavior. Or maybe your parish needs him as an example of good behavior at mass, that is that sort of thing that speaks to people. Its difficult to address without being judgemental or disrespectful to your husband :( Good luck and God bless.

@Pia wrote:

Hello, Im new to this community. I’m married for five (5) years with two (2) kids. I have a problem with my husband. He doesnt go to mass regularly. This started when he got tired of listening to the homily of an old priest. Right now, he’s digusted with some people whom he knows to be regular church goers because some of those also does not behave as they should. Now, I have a problem with my 5 year old son also doesnt want to go to church anymore because of what he sees with his father. Any advice/suggestion? [/img]

Pray for him….

pia

Pray for him….[/quote]

That’s what I’ve been doing.

burrisfam1

Keep faith! Keep going! Keep making your son go! Let him know it is not an option!

My father didn’t go to church the first 18 years of my life with the exception of a handful of times. For the last 16 years, I don’t think he’s missed a Sunday! Prayer works, just not always in our time.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this! That has to be very hard. Know that by continuing to attend mass you will recieve the graces that God gives us only through recieving the Holy Eucharist. And I have to believe that God will bless you even more for having to deal with this obstacle.

You are a brave mom! Keep going! You are in my prayers.

pia

@burrisfam1 wrote:

Keep faith! Keep going! Keep making your son go! Let him know it is not an option!

My father didn’t go to church the first 18 years of my life with the exception of a handful of times. For the last 16 years, I don’t think he’s missed a Sunday! Prayer works, just not always in our time.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this! That has to be very hard. Know that by continuing to attend mass you will recieve the graces that God gives us only through recieving the Holy Eucharist. And I have to believe that God will bless you even more for having to deal with this obstacle.

You are a brave mom! Keep going! You are in my prayers.

Thank you very much for the encouragement. I hope that I can get over this soon. I feel guilty because I believe that religious orientation must start at home and I feel that I failed in this aspect.

Pia

josie

Pia,
    While it is hard, just keep up he example as others have said. I know you may get discouraged. It is hard when we rely on our DH’s to be the strong one and then you find you’re having to be the strong one. I heard a talk for women one time and the priest made the comment, “if all women were like the women at the cross…” I think about that often because even when the men fled from harm’s way (except John), the women stayed. Just know, your prayers won’t go unnoticed. Jesus does change hearts and that’s what your after with the DH – any reasosn are just an cop-out.
    I feel for you and am proud of you for going without him. I have my own various battles with my DH – know a lot of us do and you’re not alone. Besides, your example has far more affect than you may EVER know but know it does affect your DH. I’m sure of it. The Cure d’Ars (St. John Vianny) has a wonderful story where he stopped a woman in the confessional line, spoke to her and told her not to be dismayed about her husband’s apparent suicide because as he was falling (off a bridge I think) he asked God for forgiveness. St. John Vianny told her that every night when she would say her prayers to the statue of Our Lady in her bedroom that even though she didn’t know it, her husband was saying the prayers with her.
    So… you never know…

God bless,
    Josie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.