How often…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  catholicforlife 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

mommandm

Do you go to confession, if I may ask?

I’m new at this, so I need a little guidance. Thanks!

rosannajames

I try to go occasionally, like once every other month or so. I found this site which may be helpful to you:

http://www.livingcatholicism.com/archives/2004/10/how_often_shoul.html

Confession not only obtains forgiveness for us, it also strengthens our will and forms our conscience. In other words, God not only pardons us during Confession, He also empowers us to resist sin in the future. This is important to understand: the more we go to Confession, the more Grace we have to resist future sins. This is a reason to go to Confession more often than necessarily required…

The Church doesn’t require too much:

CCC 1457 According to the Church’s command, “after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year.” Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession. Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.

God bless!

julka

Whenever I feel filthy. lol. But usually every 2-3 months.

andrea

I believe you HAVE to go at least once a year. Once a month is good though – and that’s what a lot of people I know do. I need to be more disciplined with going. We only have once a week available except by apointment and I need to make myself go more often. I always try to think – John Paul the II went once a day and if he had things to stay then obviously we have A LOT to say. I think you get more out of it the more you go – you realize what little things are wrong that you might not have thought of before. It can only make you a more humble person and closer to God! Andrea

sweett

I just went to my first confession last week. It was very different than the movies :roll: I was told by the Bishop once a year is fine if you have no mortal sins. Usually before Christmas or during lent.

lynnt

We must go at least once a year, however, if you have any mortal (serious) sins , you cannot receive Communion until you have had Reconciliation.

I just went two months in a row and it was wonderful. I found I was less nervous and it took less time (since I had less to confess 8) ). I just love how it feels afterwards.

So my recommendation would be to go as often as you can, even if you just have venial sins to confess!

andrea

I agree Lynn!

mommandm

I’m thinking every other week, or more often if necessary. I’ll definitely go the day before I’m confirmed! I just worry about it because I have a hard time differentiating between mortal and venial sins, and I don’t want to take communion if I’m in mortal sin. The priest I spoke to said if something you did is bothering you, if it really weighs on your conscience, then its a mortal sin. But I feel like I need clearer guidelines than that!

rosannajames

Here is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about Mortal Sin:

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”131

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm

God bless!

How often do I go? Not often enough.

The requirement is once at least once a year, and if once a year, then it’s during Easter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.