Having to give "plan B" at work

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics Having to give "plan B" at work

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  catholicforlife 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jmchenery

Hi everyone. I haven’t posted here in forever but I am very glad to be back! I am having some issues with work. I am a nurse in an emergency room at a Catholic Hospital. Previously state law allowed us to refuse sterilization procedures, birth control, “plan b” etc. However state law has changed and our hospital’s are required to give “plan b” now for rape victims.

We just had an inservice on this last week. It came up one other time where a doctor asked me to give it to a patient and I told him I couldn’t do that. He then decided to write a presciption for it to take elsewhere and I was fine with that. But now according to the law I may be required to give the actual pill to a patient.

I asked my supervisor if by law individual nurses were responsible for giving the drugs or if its just the hospital that is required. She informed me that since I am in charge of the patient, I must give the medication.

I absoultely refuse to give someone plan b. By default I am causing a possible abortion. However, I would be OK with the alternative of handing someone a presciption for it as opposed to the actual pill only because its the lesser of the two evils and I am not the one directly giving the medication. The doctor wrote the presciption, the pharmacist fills it, I just hand it to her.

ANyways, back to my question. I am wondering what to do about this. I may be forced to give plan b to someone and I absolutely do not want to. Refusing to give it (since we are not protected by law like pharmacies) could fall under neglect or patient abandonement laws. I could lose my job. If they found me guilty of patient abandonment or neglect since i failed to treat the patient the way the doctor ordered I could lose my nursing license. I am the breadwinner in our family so losing my nursing license would be a catastrophe for our family. But on the other hand, what is more important, my job and providing for my family?? or protecting the most innocent of human lives?? What should I do if I am confronted with this decision?? Its not something I can go home and think about, I have to decide on the spot.

catholicmoms

Ohhh, I am so sorry you are being put in the horrible position!

I would contact the ACLJ (American Center for Law and Justice). http://www.aclj.org/News/

Find out what your rights really are…

Maybe it is a violation of your religious beliefs to be forced to give it (or the prescription for that matter). They can tell you. Maybe they are not able to fire you for refusing to give this pill since it is in direct violation of your religious beliefs… I would definitely get more information. I think they will council you for free since they are set up to protect our religious rights and freedom.

Hope this helps… I wouldn’t be able to even hand them the prescription…

What a difficult position you are in… what a wonderful act of love to keep your baby and accept God’s will for your life! I’m sure you are a wonderful mom!!

God Bless You,
    Renee
    CatholicMoms Moderator

ashersmomma

Your story jsut gave me the biggest chills (which is aggravating because I just shaved my legs!). First, I just want to say that you are an amazing woman for keeping your first son, so many wouldnt have. He may not have been conceived out of love but he was born out of love and God bless you for that. I am so sorry that you not only when through that horrific experience as a teenager but now you are faced with this horrible decision. What a moral dilemma!

I was going to suggest the ACLJ and also contacting your diocese along with your state’s Catholic Conference. I know that the Missouri Catholic Conference here where I am fights hard for situations like this. The diocese may be able to provide you with a pro-bono lawyer waiting in your corner just in case your religious beliefs are tested. Even though it is a Catholic hospital, I am sure your local diocese along with the ENTIRE Roman Catholic Church is disgusted by this ruling. Thats what I would do, I would get some strong people in my corner who know what they are talking about. If terrorist Islamic prisoners religious beliefs are protected while in prison and they are still able to wear their head coverings, carry the Koran (sp?) and pray at the specified times…then I would pray to God you are able to refuse giving murderous medication!

The only way laws like this can be changed is if people stand up. God gave you this conviction and He will not leave you to fight this battle on your own. Ahhh, if we could see with spirit eyes, what a war you are smack-dab in the middle in. I will be praying victory and peace of mind for whatever you decide. May peace be with you, Gina

1Th 3:7 Therefore, brothers, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith.

Matthew 5:10 “Blessed are those who have borne persecution in the cause of Righteousness, for to them belongs the Kingdom of the Heavens.

Romans 12:12 full of joyful hope, patient under persecution, earnest and persistent in prayer.

1 Peter 4:12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at finding that that scorching flame of persecution is raging among you to put you to the test–as though some surprising thing were accidentally happening to you.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 And you followed the pattern set you by us and by the Master, after you had received the Message amid severe persecution, and yet with the joy which the Holy Spirit gives,

How horrible! I hope that you’re getting some legal support now!

Just a thought….. Is there any way that you could transfer to another department where you could protect your family while the legal battles are being fought?

My heart really goes out to you in this delima ~ being forced to choose which babies to protect! It’s deplorable!

Peace be with you!
    Laura

I would talk to your priest. He’d be able to give you the est advice on this dilemma.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.