handling attacks on the faith in social situations

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions handling attacks on the faith in social situations

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  joyce_lakee 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

lynnt

I have been guilty of Catholic bashing in the past (I am a reformed Catholic, as someone else put it I guess LOL). And I am so embarrassed and ashamed at some of the things I’ve said.

That being said…I am now one a very vigorous defender of my faith. You all are right about Catholic-bashing being considered ok. Actually, I’d go so far as to say Christian-bashing is ok in this world. My goodness…let someone denigrate Judaism or Islam or Buddhism and they’d be labeled a bigot and a racist. And they’d be called on it right on the spot more than likely. I think we need to not be so silent. I don’t mean speak out of anger, as tempting as that may be, but don’t let such coarseness and bigotry run rampant. Point out if someone is being a bigot…”Wow, that’s a pretty bigoted thing to say. Would you say something like that to a Jewish person or a Muslim? It really offends me that you denigrate my beliefs like that.” Most people would become embarrassed and contrite and those that wouldn’t…well, just pray for them b/c they aren’t really worth much more of your time as far as debating goes. Their hearts are already hard and it’s up to the Holy Spirit to move that stone away from them.

maddlesmom

Hi all,
    I was recently in a situation like the one mentioned in this discussion. I was actually part of a moms group gathering where Catholicsm became the topic and the head of the club started in on bashing the church. I first got very defensive and searched my heart and mind for come backs, but then as I watched this poor woman with no faith, comment on things she knew nothing about, I began to pray for her. I saw her as a lost soul and I decided at that point that I would show her what love looks like and be kind to her so that one day she might choose to believe in our Lord and know his divine mercy. I also decided that I need to become more educated about the issues brought up including why priests don’t marry, the homosexual agenda, womens issues in the church, among others. I felt much gratitude that evening once I came home because I know Jesus and how I prayed this woman would also know him one day.
    I do believe though that in the midst of this spiritual battle we need to defend our fellow believers, our church and we need to speak with conviction. The devils favorite color is grey-when we do not stand strong for the truth, we are just as vulnerable as those who don’t believe. There is a right and wrong and the rules of the church are there to protect us and encourage us to live holy lives. If you ever get the chance to view a series of talks by Father Donny Calloway-his wisdom and grace will arm you with the Christian shield you might need in case of another attack (which is what I think this whole issue is). Continue to defend through love in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit!!!
    Peace be with you all,
    Rebecca

joyce_lakee

One of the saddest things I come across are the attacks on the Church by nominal Catholics. Like for instance when you’re out at a restaurant on a Friday in Lent and you try to order meatless and your fellow Catholic says something like “Oh, you won’t go to hell if you order a burger.”
    As if abstaining is about not going to hell!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.