fasting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  hopemom 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

hopemom

Hi, I’m new here and I have a question. someone asked me a question. why do we fast from MEAT on Ashwednesday and Fridays. I know why we fast but why meat.

fredar

Hi,

This is my understanding, someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

Abstaining from meat is a penitential practice, and Fridays (especially Good Friday) and Ash Wednesday are penitential days. We abstain from meat on these days to do penance for our sins.

Hope this helps,
    Freda

hopemom

but why meat, why not bread or apples, that is the question I was asked.

fredar

Hi,

Because meat is (or historically has been) the main part of most people’s meals, and therefore the hardest food for most people to give up.

Freda

hopemom

thank you Freda for the responses that is what I had tried to explain as well but I was really just guessing.

julka

Yes, definitely meat because it’s something most people eat everyday, unlike carrots, or apples, for example.

My husband always tells me that the point is to give up something you really enjoy, so it doesn’t have to be meat. Meat would not work if you’re a vegetarian, for instance. The other thing he tells me, is instead of giving something up, you can take something on. Like, say a rosary (if you don’t normally do that), go to a daily mass after work, etc.

I find that at work, we would always go to Team Lunches only on Fridays, and many restaurants close by did not have vegetarian dishes (or they’d have seafood, which I am not a fan of), so I would have to eat meat. This is the case where you can give something else up, or taking something on instead.

Julia

rosannajames

I found this site on the subject:

http://catholicism.about.com/cs/lent/f/whynomeat04.htm

I says there that ///One belief of why meat was chosen is because most people feel that giving up meat (beef and chicken) is an inconvenience. The Church asks us to inconvenience ourselves sometimes to serve as a reminder that they should always have God as a top priorty and pleasures as a lesser priorty.

Another belief is that in many poorer countries, beef is a specialty. For us to give it up, helps us to remember about people who are less fortunate than we are.///

I also found this site from Ewtn:

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm

Another site explaining fasting etc…:

http://ncregister.com/info/these_40_days/

Hope that helps! God bless!

Lisa

hopemom

Thank you all for your help. I think I am going to enjoy this site.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.