End Times / Revelations?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions End Times / Revelations?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  gabriella 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

sandy

Ladies,
    I have been chatting with a protestand friend of mine who only talks about The End Times or End of the World and the Second Coming of Christ. Now, I know Christ is coming again but he said to be prepared for we would know not the day or time.
    What are we to believe as Catholics regarding this? I don’t know much about it. I have not really read Revelations thoroughly enough to understand least of all interperate.
    Can any of you help shed some light on what we Catholics are to believe or think of this?

Sister in Christ,
    Sandy :?

amby

This gives you a list of resources about the last things…
    http://www.catholic.com/library/last_things.asp

Here talks about the rapture
    http://www.catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

You should listen to John Martignoni’s rapture talk, he’s quite good.

josie

simply put, we believe the end of the world will come one day. However, the bible points out several different times that we’re not to concern ourselves about the time but to be ready for it to be any time – obviously not obsessively. “Death comes like a thief in the night” “No one knows but the Father. Not even I know.” Sorry, I’m paraphrasing a little because I don’t have a bible right in front of me. The other thing the bible shows is people like John the Baptist and St. Paul saying over and over that the “time is near” ahh, 2 thousand years later, we’re still here! :)

I read a good book called the “Rapture Trap”. There’s also one my sister has called “Will Catholics Get Left Behind”.

Obviosuly, I don’t know your Protestant friend but I have Protestant friends who are really into this stuff. These friends tend to think that I’m a “different kind” of Catholic; they tend to think of Catholics as a whole aren’t really Christians. We believe our bodies will be united with our souls at the of the world. We, however, believe Jesus will come again (at the end of the worl). We don’t believe Jesus is supposed to come 3 times: the 1st time, a 2nd time when the rapture happens and then a 3rd time at the end of the world. No where in the bible does it say anything about 3 times.

God bless,
    Josie

rhynnah

Hello, All…

I became Catholic in 1992, converting from Nondemoninational Fundamentalism. As a child and a young adult, I was often presented with the endtimes and the rapture, often with horrific movies and descriptions. As a child, I accepted Christ and was baptised, then renewed my commitment as a teen. I never felt as though I would be taken in the Rapture but would instead face all the horrible things that the tribulation was supposed to bring.

I take a step back here to add that I was molested during my teenage years by a family member. This would have happened after my childhood conversion but was ongoing during my renewal. Despite my public face of purity, I was hiding a terrible secret that ate away at me.

Since joining the Catholic Church, I have confessed my sins and been forgiven. I know that God, through the Sacraments, has given me pardon and absolution, but I don’t FEEL as through I have been cleansed. I admit that I slipped away from the church about 2 years ago and have just returned to Reconciliation. I received pardon for my sins and am seeking to renew my love of God and my faithfulness.

I admit that I have been afraid of this topic for decades. I am kinda shocked that I would actually read it, and more so to add to it, but I can’t help but wonder if there are others like me, seeking an emotional transformation to complete the mental one. I know that I am a child of God, that Christ died for my sins, and that I have been utterly forgiven. I KNOW this, but still, at odd hours of the day or night, I am struck with a fear that shakes me to my core. It is an awful feeling.

My response to this is to seek out the Sacraments. To attend Mass and to cling to the Magisterium. To fight these feelings with the promises and teachings of the Church and with prayer. What I feel does not have the power to contradict the Church and I hope that my seeking a deeper life in Faith will eventually eradicate the fear.

If anyone has any views on this matter, something I may not have thought of or missed, please let me hear from you. The posting from Catholic Answers was very very helpful. Thank you for adding it!

Sincerely,
    Rhynnah

janelle

what brought me back to my faith is actually letting the Jehova whitness come in for Bible studies and they and other religous protestans have some very, very good points but after I looked into it. All theese other christian religions are taking it upon themselves to interperet the bible, they some where down the road all broke away from the one true religion…Catholic which means universal. That is coming from Man not holy spirit. We have believed we’ve been living in end times since Christ came. Like someone else posted only the Father knows the day and the hour. You can look online at other catholic sites and they will explain scriptures.

janelle

what brought me back to my faith is actually letting the Jehova whitness come in for Bible studies and they and other religous protestans have some very, very good points but after I looked into it. All theese other christian religions are taking it upon themselves to interperet the bible, they some where down the road all broke away from the one true religion…Catholic which means universal. That is coming from Man not holy spirit. We have believed we’ve been living in end times since Christ came. Like someone else posted only the Father knows the day and the hour. You can look online at other catholic sites and they will explain scriptures.

angelenesmom

Hi, I am new to the forum. I would say live your life and follow your faith. Your protestant friend is right we don’t know the day or the hour, it could be in 1000 years or it could be tomorrow. Only God knows, so I would say try to live in a state of grace, recieve Communion regularly, go to Confession, and as St.Pio says “Pray, Hope and Don’t Worry”.

Peace in Christ,
    Kathleen
    Pray the Rosary

gabriella

I was reading some passages from Revelations the other day out of interest. I guess I had never really read or studied that book. It’s quite an interesting read and if you didn’t know you were reading the Bible, you’d think your reading some sci-fi novel. It’s really fascinating with all the signs of the apocalypse and all the symbolism. Where are places to get Bible covers because my Bible is getting a little worn?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.