Doing Christian Bible Studies(question)

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions Doing Christian Bible Studies(question)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nessa 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

blessed3x

Hi,
    I have been doing christian(baptist) bible studies for about a couple of years now.
    I enjoy it very much but dh makes me feel guilty sometimes though he doesn’t mind me attending except for their services which I never do.
    I did once join them for a musical treat but dh made me feel so guilty for it.
    I grew up with christian grandparents who lived with us since we were kids. My other side of the family, my Dad’s are Catholic and when my parents turned to God about 28 years ago, they turned for good and became hardcore charismatic Catholics, we all did as a family and we found such happiness because that also meant my dad stopped drinking for good.
    I have great examples of faith from both of my grandmothers, the Christian and the Catholic and I learned so many thigs and bible passages from both of them, but my Father’s mother, the Catholic one, was a great testimony of faith to me as she died praying the rosary minutes after I visited her at the hospital. This woman helped build the chapel from her hometown and is still a great personof faith people remember.
    As you can see my Catholic side has a greater influece on my faith and I will never leave it.
    Now, my question is, am I wrong for doing Christian Bible Studies?
    I have made wonderful friends on these studies and have learned so much from them, not only Bible studies but their wondeful testimony.
    I have looked for studies at my local church but have already done the ones they offer an with 2 kids and one on the way and no childcare offered at our church is more difficult.
    I have acquantances who do this too and to them it’s pretty normal.
    Should I feel guilty for this?
    Shoud I stop?
    Am I wrong?
    Please help.

josie

Dear Blessed3x,
    I’d encourage you to figure out why you are questioning yourself. Chances are there is a real reason. While, there’s nothing wrong with studying the scripture and having friends who are not Catholic, I know from experience that more times than not, Protestant bible studies end up having a point of view contrary to our own Catholic faith. It is hard – I know – to find “Catholic” bible studies or church involvement where it’s feasible with little ones, especially here in the south. A priest friend of my family’s told me something once that I have remembered over and over, especially when I’m trying to make the right decision about something. He said, “Your faith never stays the same, it either gets stronger or weaker every day and it’s up to you to make it stronger.” Really, it’s simple, is this something that is making your faith stronger or weaker and is it allowing you to help your family’s faith grow stronger or weaker.
    Take care,
    Josie

blessed3x

I see what you mean.
    I have learned a lot from these studies and it has in fact made my faith stronger. Hubby disagreed just that one time and the reason I come to ask for your opinion is because he reminds me sometimes, “but you’re not going to their service again, are you?”
    So, I wouldn’t go back to their service if he doesn’t agree and also because we I would feel like there’s something missing, our eucharist which they don’t have. If i decided to go that one time was because I wanted to see the musical, but that was it.
    I love the studies as well as the fellowship and the convenience of having them near me, well ued to be near me but since one of the ldies will move out of the state soon and I’m slower and slower with the pregnancy, she suggested coming to my house with another one of he ladies and so we have it here at my house every other week.
    I like having my little one around so I can watch her and so having the study here at home works just great because they come to me.
    Next year I might go back to their church as they offer childcare.
    I enjoy it so much just dopping her off the childcare so I can attend the study with no worries as I know kids are in good hands while I learn the word.
    Thanks so much for the reply!

ashersmomma

Hi, I am a former Protestant and became Catholic Easter ’05. My husband is still Protestant so I call myself “dual-enrolled”. I go to Mass on my own on Wed. or Sat., sometimes with hubby, but usually with just my 2 year old. On Sundays we go to “his” church as a family. He respects my new faith and although I hope he converts too one day, I respect his decision to remain Protestant. I still want our family to attend church together as a family so thats why I also attend the Prot. church too. This system works for us now but only because I make compromises…he is still the spiritual leader of our household.
    There is alot of things I miss about Prot. church, the awesome music being one, but my relationship has with God since becoming Catholic has become so much stronger. BUT, I get so aggervated when I feel like I miss out on every single Mass becasue Im jsut trying to keep my toddler quiet. Also, there is such a lack of personalized small groups in my church that I have almost been forced to join a Bible study in my husband’s church, and just like yours they offer CHILDCARE!!!!! Finally, I felt like I could focus on the word and learn more about His ways. I love the women in the group, all have a stong devotion to Christ, but I quickly realized throughout discussions over passages that there is a very distinct difference in our beliefs. I know you’re probably thinking, DUH!!! But I just thought that there would be no harm in simply learning more of God’s word with fellow believers….wrong! We can’t jsut have a normal Bible study and compare and contrast ideas in hopes of unlocking some truths because we read different Bibles! I know now that I have unlocked one of the biggest truths out there…the Catholic church, so how can we even be on the same level when trying to unlock the others. Im not trying to sound exclusive or even pompous, but we are different!We shouldnt exclude ourselves from our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ but just like the marriage relationship, I feel like we should try and be equally yoked with the influential people in our lives. For this reason I also will not listen to Protestant radio programs. Some messages are generic enough to be for any and all Christians but if they are from a Protestant theological standpoint and therefore false teachings for Catholics. I do still listen to the music though! Its so easy to let our faith get watered down and Saten will be looking for any opportunity to do so…he hates that we know the truth!
    One of my friends is starting a mom’s group with our Catholic church because we are feeling the same way you are…like we need some support from the church in allowing us to further our relationship with God and understanding that with small ones that can be pretty hard!! I dont know if you’re familiar with MOPS but our hope is that it could be a Catholic version. Learning more about our faith and having fellowship with like-minded moms. Maybe you should consider doing the same?? The need is out there, Im sure. Hope I havent sounded too preachy, thats just my take on things. Many blessings. Gina :wink:

nessa

I think I’m going to agree with AshersMomma on this….I too am a convert…before becoming Catholic I belonged to an independant Bible church. I learned alot there and met some wonderful Christians that love the Lord. I too miss alot of the music and the small groups…but I have found something even better….the church that Christ founded. :D

I understand the need to have a group of women to support you in your spiritual growth, I would just offer the caution that it is likely at least some of them are interested in bringing you to their church and not so much in your growth as a Catholic. I don’t think this is malicious at all…they honestly believe that Catholics are wrong in some key areas and the further you are from particularly “Catholic” doctrines the closer you are to Christ. (baptism of babies, Real Prescence, and veneration of Saints, especially our Blessed Mother come first to mind)

However, you may be a great example to them that Catholics are in fact brothers and sisters in Christ. :)
    You’ll be in my prayers. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.