This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  andreson 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and would like to participate in a book study and discussion. Does anyone have a book suggestion? Does anyone read the National Catholic Register? Maybe we could start by discussing an article from it?

I read a great article in the June 18-24, 2006 issue of the NCR. It was titled “Many Parishes Led by Laity, Despite Rome’s Words” by Gail Besse. This article hit home with me because I am located in the mid-western portion of the US and it seems that we are having a priest shortage. Also, the priests we have are aging and are unable to be as active as they were when they were younger. What are we to do?

That is a really good question. I don’t have the Registar. . . .what does Rome say about it?

I would like to discuss any books you might suggest. . . .I have quite a few. Maybe we could list a couple and see if we have any matches or if you have one that’s burning a hole through your night stand. . . . let me know. Tana

I read that same article because it was reprinted (posted) on http://www.catholiconline.com.

Tana, to answer your question, here’s what the article says about the situation:
    The Vatican has been concerned about the trend for years.

The Second Vatican Council stressed that lay people have an important mission of their own – in the world. A 1997 Vatican instruction on lay ministry was a strong reaffirmation that it was ordained ministers’ role to run parishes.

The document had a rare pedigree. Called “Instruction on Certain Questions Regarding the Collaboration of the Non-Ordained Faithful in the Sacred Ministry of Priests,â€

How about Mother’s Rule of Life? Anyone read it? TAna

Hi Tana,

I have read a Mother’s Rule of Life and I mostly like it but I don’t seem to be able to put it into practice here. Because my husband doesn’t work a job with regular hours, we can’t stick to such a rigid family routine. She does have a lot of great ideas though – especially her recommendation to find time for Eucharistic adoration, which I plan to start doing soon – and I plan to read the book again soon.

I agree it is a bit stringent on the scheduling, but I liked it and it makes a lot of sense. I, too, am going to have to reread for an intelligent discussion. Would you like to start rereading it with me?

I’m also new. My name is Andreson & from US, recently joins this board for making knowledge & share ideas in this board!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.