Covered Heads, Veiled Hearts

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics Covered Heads, Veiled Hearts

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rosec 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rosec

Hi,
    I’m Rose from San Antonio, TX. I am a cradle Catholic who left the church for 15 years during which time I worshipped in Evangelical Protestant churches. I “reverted” to Catholicism in 2000 at the calling of the Holy Spirit.

I am an aspiring Catholic author with a passion and zeal for writing about my faith. I am currently working on my first book, Veiled Hearts, about Catholic American women who are heeding the leading of the Holy Spirit and covering their heads (veils/hats) in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

I am currently seeking personal accounts from American Catholic women who cover their heads in the presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. If you know of anyone who might be interested in sharing their story with me, please contact me at veiledhearts@rosecontreras.com, or
    visit http://veiledhearts.rosecontreras.com to submit accounts, or call
    (210) 316-3340 for more information.

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone who may be interested in its message.

God bless you!

In Christ,
    Rose Contreras
    Catholic Author, Veiled Hearts
    http://www.rosecontreras.com

rosec

Hi,
    I apologize for the misspelling “Blessed Sacraments.” Of course, there is only ONE Blessed Sacrament, our Lord Jesus Christ!

God bless you! :oops:

mommandm

As a new catholic, I’m unclear as to why this isn’t commonly practiced anymore. NOBODY in my church does it, except of course the one nun. Its been kind of nagging at my conscience.

I think its sad that people don’t have the respect to cover their hair. The church never did away with it. People either just don’t know or just don’t care I guess. I always cover. I haven’t always but I do now. I will never go into church without it. I look at other people (more at Latin mass) who aren’t covered and I just don’t understand it. It was never done away with by the church. People just choose not to follow the teaching of the church.

natmur

Please see this link: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/head_coverings_in_church.htm
    which answers the question about whether the current code of canon law requires women to wear a veil. The short answer is no. Of course, Scripture speaks to the subject as well, and this link addresses that as well.

I think it is perfectly fine as an expression of personal piety, devotion and love, as long as that is where you heart is. We aren’t being “more holy” though when we require or expect of ourselves or others more than what the Church requires.

mommandm

@Natmur wrote:

Please see this link: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/head_coverings_in_church.htm
    which answers the question about whether the current code of canon law requires women to wear a veil. The short answer is no. Of course, Scripture speaks to the subject as well, and this link addresses that as well.

I think it is perfectly fine as an expression of personal piety, devotion and love, as long as that is where you heart is. We aren’t being “more holy” though when we require or expect of ourselves or others more than what the Church requires.

That is an interesting article. Definitely a good defense as to why women generally don’t cover and are not obligated to.

I just feel like its an expression of humility in our culture of self-centeredness. And when in doubt, erring on the side of caution is always a good rule to follow.

rosec

Thanks so much for the EWTN link. In my work on Veiled Hearts, I am having trouble getting a response from any representatives from USCCB or from the Vatican information email address. Of course, they have bigger things to attend to. I still would like, however, to find a church authority willing to comment on the subject of women and head covering.

It is true, as stated in the EWTN article, that this practice is not required of Catholic women. My purpose in covering this issue is that it appears to be a growing trend, one that I myself follow, and I think it is representative of a much larger issue. Namely, that in this day and time where modern American women have freedoms and opportunities as never before, that some Catholic women are choosing an outward expression of an inner piety, an outward sign of submission to Our Lord despite the fact that they may very well be leaders and heads of organizations in the rest of their life. I find this a beautiful and inspiring phenomenon.

Thank you so much ladies, for your valuable input.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.