Catholic Schools

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics Catholic Schools

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  twinbabes 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

kandigirl

First post and I’m sure I’ll get lots of feedback!

I’m so torn and angry right now.

I have been sending my 2 children (and I have a 3rd baby) to Catholic school the past 2 years. The new head of our church last year required that each famiy volunter a number of hours to the parish or church, participate in fundraising activities, and put in a minimum of $60 a month in the church collection in order to be considered a “parishner” in order to get the reduced tuition rate.

This year, everyone who did not meet all the requirments for 2006 was sent a bill for full non-parishner rate. My tuition as a “parish member” meeting the additional requirements is over $3800 for two children.

I cannot work and my husband’s salary does all but cover our basic expenses for food, electric, insurance etc. We have about $800 for food and any other expenses left over at the end of the month. That is for a family of 5. My mother has been helping with some of the tuition and we have been sacrificing for the rest (about $2,800). We also met our additional financial obligations and fulfilled each of the requirements for the parishner rate this past year.

I understand why he is doing this. So many people call themselves parishners in order to get the reduced rate and never contribute or go to church.

The problem I have is that many have left in order to join parishes in the neighboring townships this summer. They do not have to contribute anything additional other than the tuitio, and they have no intention of contributing to their new parishes. They joined for the reduced parishner rate and since they have no additional financial requirements.

To make things worse, he has been giving several people waivers if they went to him complaining. These people are the same people that complain that they can’t afford $60 in the collection basket and they spend hundreds on designer clothes, eating out etc.

I really don’t have the money to contribute $60 a month on top of the parishner rate. It’s been a real sacrifice for us to do this and I’m not sure if I want to continue to do so if only some people are held to these requirements.

I’m also upset that they were able to pick up and join other parishes and that they don’t have the same financial requirements. I’m thinking of sending my children to public school or joining another parish where there are no additional financial requirements.

nessa

wow…that sounds like quite a list of requirements….I could understand asking for vol. hours at the church, but I think asking for a specific verifiable amt in the collection plate is a bit out of line.
    dh and I give in cash at our parish, and not in the envelopes with our names on it…so I guess we’d be out.
    Can you talk to the parish priest about this as it is a legit hardship for your family, including that the requirements don’t seem to be applied across the board….and/or can you write to your bishop about it?
    If things don’t get resolved, have you considered homeschooling? It sounds like you are already very good at stretching your budget…and some very good, very Catholic programs can be found for less than your parish schools tuition.
    I’ll be praying for you!

burrisfam1

Our prayers will go out for your family.

I’m assuming that you are pleased with the education your children are gettting since you didn’t mention it. I would guess that the most important thing is to be sending your children where God wants them to attend. Maybe the last post is right and you should consider homeschooling. I’m not sure where you are located but here we have a pretty decent sized catholic homeschooling group. There is also a place you can register your kids where they will actually purchase your curriculum for you and pay for lessons, etc. Religious materials aren’t covered.

I recall my parents going thru similar situations but the help was determined by the parish priest. Basically it was hit and miss. If you got him in a good mood (ehich was rare!) you would get more help than other times, determined on a yearly basis. I also know that I went clear through Catholic schools and was not well educated in regards to my faith.

That has to be such a tough situation. We are still deciding but leaning to homeschooling currently. God Bless and May GOD’S WILL be done for you and your family.

burrisfam1

Our prayers will go out for your family.

I’m assuming that you are pleased with the education your children are gettting since you didn’t mention it. I would guess that the most important thing is to be sending your children where God wants them to attend. Maybe the last post is right and you should consider homeschooling. I’m not sure where you are located but here we have a pretty decent sized catholic homeschooling group. There is also a place you can register your kids where they will actually purchase your curriculum for you and pay for lessons, etc. Religious materials aren’t covered.

I recall my parents going thru similar situations but the help was determined by the parish priest. Basically it was hit and miss. If you got him in a good mood (ehich was rare!) you would get more help than other times, determined on a yearly basis. I also know that I went clear through Catholic schools and was not well educated in regards to my faith.

That has to be such a tough situation. We are still deciding but leaning to homeschooling currently. God Bless and May GOD’S WILL be done for you and your family.

kandigirl

Thnks for al of the feeback. Yes, I am happy with the education from the school. However, our public school system is one of the best in the area. In fact, my children may be getting less of an education by sending them to catholic school but I beleive in the values not taught in public school.

After a lot of soul searching I have determined that it is not really the amout of money that is required from those of us attending school that bothers me. It is the fact that all people are not held accountable to the same standards. I’m appaled that in order to be considered a “parishner ” in good standing, the amount I contribute is being tracked since my children attend the school. The children that attend religious education classes are not held to any standards as well as the members for the various other athletic clubs and social groups. I just feel that those that are making the sacrifice already in order to send their children to school that teaches catholic values are being unfairly singled out and forced to contribute when there are no other requirements for others.

teresa_marie

I’m going to be quite frank here and I want you to know I have only your feelings at heart here.

What other people do or do not do should be none of your concern. If you cannot tolerate your children attending this school then put them in another school. Do not sacrifice your ideals.

Your business is to attend to your own rights and wrongs in this life and leave the lives of others to God. You will not be judged according to THEIR actions, but to yours.

Do not covet your neighbors posessions (or place in society). In the end it doesn’t matter.

Peace,

Teresa

twinbabes

Praying for you. Wow I went and talked to our preist when we couldn’t make our finacial obligation that we were challenged to last year. As we have 5 boys and find it difficult to pay our regular bills, and get groceries.
    We don’t live fancy either. I plant a garden and do canning, I buy from the second hand clothing stores. I pray alot for God’s help and we haven’t starved yet, have been late on a payment once in awhile but I know God has blessed with healthy children.
    Praying for u Brenda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.