Anyone homeschool?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! Anyone homeschool?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  luvbeinamommy 8 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi! It has been a joy to read the posts on here. You ladies are all very nice and I love your devotion to your families and to the Catholic faith. I am wondering if anyone homeschools? I am a former teacher and have always dreamed of homeschooling my kids. We have a few private Catholic schools here but they are SOOOOO expensive, we just can’t afford it right now and I am not a fan of public school (many reasons). I was just wondering where you order your curriculum from? I have done TONS of research on curriculum, scope and sequence, socialization/activities of homeschooled children, planning your classroom environment, etc. I also have a younger child that I will be incorporating into our “school.” !
    If you have any suggestions on good Catholic curriculum, please let me know. If you homeschool, fill me in on some of your great ideas!
    Thanks!
    Heather

Hi! I have homeschooled my kids from the beginning. My oldest is just finishing 2nd grade, and my next oldest is finishing kindergarten. Next year I will add my 3rd child to the “official” classroom, but school tends to be done by everybody, no matter the age. This means I’ll have to “school” my other 2 little ones too!

I use Mother of Divine Grace cirriculum (http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org). It is a classical cirriculum. I know many people who prefer a traditional style and use Seton. This is a matter of personal style. I don’t enroll my children, I just buy the material and keep my kids on track…but I’m very disciplined in that way.

If you have nay more questions, feel free to email me or check out my blog where I talk about homeschooling all the time.

Good luck!
    Michelle

johnson8

Hi Heather,
    We homeschooled our oldest when I left teaching (when we were blessed with our 4th and our 5th. I went back to teaching at our Catholic school when our 5th was old enough for the school’s daycare. She was 2 1/2 yrs. Well, I took another leave now because our 6th one was born on Christmas day, 2005.
    We are in the same position- without me teaching at the school, our tuition is over $14.000 for the kids. I received a 50% discount while teaching and they were able to take it out of my paychecks.
    We are waiting to hear from tuition assistance, but I am fully prepared to homeschool all of them with the exception of our oldest. She will be a senior next year and we will find some way to pay her tuition.
    I was picky about our curriculum that I used. I didn’t buy just one curriculum. I pieced mine together. My daughter also took Church History and Ancient History over the internet.
    Just keep searching for information. Ask to see catalogs and sample scope and sequence charts from publishers.
    I miss having my children home. God bless you in your adventures!

debraprs

Yes I homeschool both of our sons. They attended public school for the first few years until I decided I couldn’t do any worse than they were doing. It’s been an adventure I wish I had started sooner. But, I truly believe that we all homeschool in one way or another. When we play what I call “homework police” or just when we read or sing to our babies, all of life is learning.

amby

I would love to homeschool my children and have every intention on doing so.
    Very good questions you ask.

I don’t think I could make my own curriculum, but I could teach what needed taught. So I’m not sure how it is going to work.

I agree with Debra: we all homeschool, even if it’s just checking homework.

rothx5

I home school my 3 kids.
    Grades 8, 6,and 3.
    I have been doing it for so long I am not sure when we started.
    I would love to help anyone who needs it.
    Or just talk to those who do home school.

tinamarie

I homeschool 4 of 5 of my kids. My youngest is still a baby and doesn’t do formal education. My 3,5,6,and 7 year olds all do though. We use CHC and MODG.

nan

Hi Heather, such good questions! by now you are probably all set up and decided but anyway…
    I used to homeschool my children – 2 of them went all the way from K to 12, our last went through 9 but when his brother moved away to college it was just too lonely and he is now in 11th at a private school and I work what hours I can to cover that large bill.
    My best advice is to know yourself and do what fits you. If you have to spend energy learning how to work with a program or making yourself do it, you spend what you’ll probably need to understand your child’s approach and mind bends,and it won’t be easy to keep learning fun.
    The thing I have liked best about homeschooling was being with my children, watching and being a part of their growing and learning, seeing them develope into lovers of learning and reading.
    A basic plan of what to cover for the whole of school, not a detailed scope and sequence but a general outline(counting to 100 and single digit addition and subtraction in 1st gr. math, the 10 commandments in 2nd gr. religion, world geography in 5th gr.- for example) can assure you that there won’t be too many “holes” in the childrens’ knowledge when they are through. But sometimes if children are fairly close in age it’s better to let them learn together especially the scienc and social studies areas. So sometimes my younger children had to revue a few topcs and expand there deepth in some areas in their later grades. Of course if you decide on a packaged course that will all be done for you.You seem to have done a lot of research already and to be a very planned and organized person. That helps especially when you have toddlers or are not feeling 100% (say-when you’re expecting-) The topics, or worksheets or games etc. are all purchased and you can just hand them out and watch. I found that my toddlers liked the idea of school and would work with a huge shape and color sorting game I found or would color a page or two, but then they would be happy to play with their toys especially if i called it “recreation” like it was a call name. “Nap time” is a class too. And their naptimes are the best for math and reading with the elementary children, they are interupted less.
    Last speck of advice: find some other families who homeschool near you-together you can do more and your children will make great friends.
    I LOVED my 20 years as a home school mom. You will be blessed.
    Nan

josie

My mom homeschooled us some of the time. We used Seton Cirriculum & Our Lady of the Rosary – both were good.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am having a ball teaching my son, as I knew in my heart it was the right thing for our family. For 4 months now, he asks everyday when is it “schoolwork” time. What he doesn’t realize is I spend much of the day teaching him by doing hands-on things like baking, gardening, etc…he learns so much through these activities that it doesn’t compare to the hour we spend at the desk. (he is only 4) Nevertheless, he loves homeschooling. Today we got out the microscope for the first time and what was supposed to be a quick peek at science turned into a 2 hour lesson. We couldn’t stop finding things to look at, it was fascinating, and we learned that some things are just really gross-looking up close!!!
    Anyway, thanks everybody for your ideas!
    Heather

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.