Any attachment parents/gentle discipline parents here?

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! Any attachment parents/gentle discipline parents here?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  luvbeinamommy 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

gooeyrn

Hi! I practice attachment parenting and gentle discipline (co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, no spanking, baby wearing, etc.) and wondering if there is anyone else here who is Catholic, and also practices these things?

I just see Mary and Jesus being such gentle people. I see Mary trying to meet all emotional needs and Jesus being gentle. I can not see either not meeting childrens needs or hitting children.

I am a mom of a high needs 3 year old girl and a 11 month old boy. I am married 4.5 years. I am an RN but am currently taking a break from working to stay home with my kids. I hope to meet others here, soon!

mommyrose

You may be interested in the book Parenting with Grace; Catholic Parent’s Guide to Raising almost Perfect Kids by Gregory & Lisa Popcak. They use attachment parenting to an extreme that not everyone would feel comfortable with. Regardless of your attachment parenting views the book is a great guide for Catholic parents.

I do agree that gentleness is the Holy Family’s way. My sister gave me the following simple yet wonderful prayer:

Dear Blessed Mother,
    Please help me to make my home like the one in Nazareth.
    Give me a gentle spirit,
    a cheerful heart
    and constant patience
    for these souls that have been entrusted to my care.
    Through Christ Our Lord,
    Amen.

(I am afraid I do not know who or where to give credit, I will try to find out.)

gooeyrn

Thank you!!!

sera777

Hi! I’m a fledgling here, but am the mother to 6, trying to live by those codes as well.

Regarding co-ed sleeping: Child #1~ Didn’t know I “was allowed” to sleep with my baby. It was a crib era (’90′s). Half asleep most of the day since I was up half the night rocking my baby to sleep.

Child #2~ Tried the same pattern, but out of desperation so many months down the road, I brought my baby to bed with me in my arms. Low and behold, I actually got some sleep after many years of fatigue! (My 2 oldest are only 18mos apart.) Wished I tried it before.

Child #3~ Thought I’d give it another go. Turned out this girl liked her crib!

Child #4 thru #6~ Finally able to successfully co-sleep! I’ve never been more rested, and my better half is equally happy! And it’s amazing how our senses kick in while sleeping with baby! We’ve never had a problem with not being aware of our baby while sleeping. I’m so thankful! :)

Hi, I practice AP. Although I didn’t really know that it was called that until about 2 years ago. My boys are 6 and 3 and I wore them, BF until they were about 2 years old, we let them co-sleep, and we homeschool. I just did this stuff naturally and then I found out there was a name for this style of parenting!
    I also like the gentle christian mothers website for ideas on gentle parenting and ap-style parenting.
    Heather

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.