Another prayer and children question

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! Another prayer and children question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  luvbeinamommy 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gina

Dh and I have been talking about our family’s prayer life recently…we have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old. Obviously it is hard to get them to understand, be still, etc. But, we know that our example is crucial…only problem is this: we each had examples as we grew up, and still felt like our family’s prayer lives were, um, forced and not natural. We want to create a natural prayer environment in our home, where prayer comes easily, is not a chore, something that the family is happy/comfortable doing together. How do you make this happen in your homes? How do you encourage prayer and create and prayerful and faithful home without enforcing it like you would manners and discipline?

twinbabes

God gave us a duty a parents to teach our children. In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, it tell us in there under duties of parents, it has a whole section that we are to teach our children dicipline, and faith. If you don’t have this book you can go to: http://www.vatican.va click on english
    then go to information on this page scroll down to Catechism of the Catholiic Church and your off to read about all the teaching of our church . Look under Article 4 The Fourth Commandment and it is all there what we do for our parents and what we do as parents.
    Enjoy and God Bless Brenda

One thing I do is incorporate prayer into whatever else we are doing. Like if we are driving to the store and we see a fire truck or ambulance with sirens on I say “Let’s say a prayer that whoever they are on their way to help will be okay…Dear God, please help the rescue workers to help those in need and keep them safe. Thank you for keeping us safe today. In your name, amen.” My boys are 2 and 5 so they understand most of what I’m saying.
    We do say formal rosaries and prayers at night, but I want them to know they can pray anytime of the day. As your kids get older, you will find times that you can include prayer during the day, like when they fight or make a wrong decision, you can say “You know, next time you feel like hitting your brother, you can talk to Jesus and ask him to help you be more kind.”

HTH-
    Heather

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.