Another annulment question

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Marriage Forum Another annulment question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  envchemist 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

maire

I am a convert to the Catholic church. My marriage is emotionally and mentally abusive to the point that I have stopped living and have hidden myself from others out of fear and shame. I want to be a good Catholic but I am tired of living this way. Is this kind of abuse recognized by the church in order to obtain an annulment? My husband has never hurt me physically but I do live in despair. Please help me. I really want to be a good Catholic.

mama2_boys

(((((HUGS))))) :cry:

God bless you! I will pray for you!! I don’t have the answer to your question but I can pray that you will find it somewhere.

Keep your eyes and heart set on Christ. Pray, pray, pray for the grace to live your life as He calls you.

Keep us posted about how you are doing.

Welcome to Catholic Moms!

fredar

Maire,

Hugs and prayers from me too.

I don’t know if you’d be able to get an annulment, but I do know that there are 2 cases in which the Church allows spouses to separate. The first is adultery, the second is if there is danger to one of the spouses and/or the children. It sounds to me like the second case applies to you.

Is there a good priest you can discuss your situation with?

Freda

lynnt

Contact your archdiocese and ask to speak to the person in charge of annulments. Explain your situation and request an advocate to help you through this.

In the meantime, if you do feel your life (emotional or physical) is threatened, LEAVE. Find a safe place.

We’ll be praying for you!

loloengland

Dont be ashamed, you have nothing to hide.Your husband should be ashamed.
    I send you my love and prayers, and you must do whats in your heart.
    I do agree that you should go and talk with your priest.
    No one is entitled to make you feel this way about yourself.
    lorraine

maternus

My heart and prayers go out to you. Please do talk to your priest.

Do you know that even if you are separated/divorced you can still partake of the sacraments as long as you are living a chaste life? The problems kick in when you remarry w/o an annulment.

envchemist

Maire,
    I just joined the site today. Hopefully you’ve already talked to your priest. An annulment is based on what happened on your wedding day. Was there a sacrament or not? If your husband was pyschologically incapable of giving consent (he was messed up emotionally and mentally) on your wedding day and there was not a sacrament because of that–then yes, you may have grounds. You do have to prove them, just like you would in a court of law. That said, you still have to go through the divorce before you can apply for the annulment.
    However, you always have the right to separate. It is perfectly acceptable–regardless of how an annulment comes out–for two Christians to separate if there is abuse. The problem only comes in if you decide to remarry without the annulment. This is because if we go to communion in a state of sin then we condemn ourselves. Thus the Church wants to make very sure that no Sacrament existed so that if someone wants to remarry that there is no adultery. See Christ’s comments on the Sanctity of marriage (as a former protestant I didn’t see that either). He said something like “I hate divorce. I tell you if a man divorces his wife and marry another he commits adultery…”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.