Reply To: Age

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Marriage Forum Age Reply To: Age

ashersmomma

I agree, it depends not only on the person but also on the relationship of the couple and their hearts toward God. My husband and I got engaged only 3 months after we started dating, then married 3 months later…we were 22. My husband was in the Nat’l Guard, going to college, and was working in the produce department at a grocery store. I was living with 2 friends off campus while going to college and working. In our case, however stereotypical it may sound, it was trully a case of “when you know, you know” I knew by our 2nd date that he was the one I was suppose to marry. There were alot of “signs and wonders” that led me to that conclusion, along with deep prayer and everything was so perfectly orchestrated by God.

I mentioned that he was only a grocery clerk for a reason. I probably should have had some reservations about his ability to be a good provider, but I didnt. It’s not that I was blind with love, I jsut knew the man I was marrying had so much potential and would stop at nothing to reach his goals. So many couples wait to get married for so many reason, one of the biggest reasons is money. I hear, “Well, when we get out of college” or “when we can buy a house”. If you truly think that he is the man that God has planned for you, how could age, money, or anything else get in the way of that. And in the postponement of the wedding bells for the “perfect situation” there are more occasions of sin and the relationship starts to deteriorate before they even say “I do” and that is probably not the plan God originally had. I trusted God’s will for us and I am so thankful I did.

My sister just celebrated her 1 year anniversary last October and she is just turning 21 this month. They also got pregnant on their honeymoon and just bought their first house. My sister and her husband asked me to be their sponser this year for RCIA!!! They are deciding to become Catholic!! Her husband once vowed never to step inside a Catholic Church and here he is coming to our faith! This is a beautiful example of a couple who knew themselves and their heavenly Father enough to trust in Him completely…and God continues to bless them. I don’t know if there is ever a “right” age, but a right relationship with God and 2 righteous people.