Reply To: Tattoos

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Religious Questions Tattoos Reply To: Tattoos

ashersmomma

I think alot of people still think that tattoos are sinful because of what the Old Testement has to say about them…

Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.

However, only nine verses earlier in the same chapter (Leviticus 19:19) the people of Israel were also commanded to avoid mixing fibers in garments: no poly/cotton mixes then ladies :wink: !! It also says that men should not shave their beards and that you should not mix 2 different kinds of seed in a field. Obviosely, the Isrealites had a very strict code to live by…not to say that God doesnt still care about the everyday parts of our lives. God was starting a nation of the chosen and needed strict rules and obdience if His nation was ever going to last throughout the ages. There was no such thing as “modern medicine” let alone sterilization. Having a tattoo meant taking a big chance on a life threatening infection. God was all about cleanliness!! No pork: pigs notoriousely will eat anything and it spoils too quickly therefore, deeming it “unclean”.

I personally do not have a tattoo and even if I was brave enough to get one I would have no idea what to get…I mean, it’s forever!!! I did, however, pierce my navel when I turned 18…rite of passage I suppose. Thank God it stretched back to normal after being pregnant!!