Reply To: stay at home mom feeling depressed

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! stay at home mom feeling depressed Reply To: stay at home mom feeling depressed

elisa

Hey – I haven’t been on this forum in a while, but I’m glad I checked in today and read your post.

I know how you feel.

I’m also 25, and was actually in the Army when I met my husband when I was 21. We were married soon after and got pregnant 3 months later. We wanted to start our family right away, and I got out of the Army to stay at home w/ my child.

Since my husband is still military we are always on the move. Every 2 years we move MANY states away from family and friends.

I am also the first of all my friends (from back home) to get married…AND the first to have a baby. I’ve gotten all those quotes too, the “what do you DO all day” and “I want to live my life before I have kids”…blahblahblah. It is very discouraging.

I didn’t get to finish my degree. When I joined the Army, I planned on (not meet Mr. Right) and finishing my degree while I was in the Army or right after I got out. That never happened. I’m very glad I met Mr. Right when I did, but it took me a while to get used to staying at home, and not making my own money.

I’m now working (very slowly) on my Bachelors. It is not so much so that I can have a career in case my husband died, but mainly so I don’t waste the credits I’ve earned so far.

I figure, if my husband died, I would somehow manage and do what I have to do in order to provide for my family.

I am pregnant w/ number 2 right now and sometimes I get so discouraged and depressed (like today). It’s mostly lack of sleep and having to put my toddler in time out at least once an hour, b/c since he turned 2, he refuses to listen and his fav. word is NO!

But in any case, hang in there. Don’t let your “friends” talk down to you as if you’re wasting away your life by starting a family. Tell them: “I’d rather have my kids while I’m young and healthy…I’ll have plenty of time to travel and have a career when my kids are grown.” At least I truly believe that. I did some traveling while I was young, but it was boring. I’d much rather do it w/ my husband on a nice vacation while our kids our with grandma and grandpa (never done that yet…but someday).

I wouldn’t be on any artificial birth control, mainly because they mess with your hormones and I don’t imagine that helps with depression.

I will be keeping you in my prayers.