ashersmomma

I totally agree, Good News About Sex and Marriage is a really great book. I too am from the “what, you arent on the pill???” era being that Im 27. Girls in H.S. took the pill like they were tic tacs, me included! My husband and I only practice NFP which is incredible considering we practiced that BEFORE I knew I wanted to become Catholic AND hubby is still a protestant and still supports me on this. I too do not feel that we are called to parent as many children as my body can produce and that God gave women a biological scheduled cycle full of “signs” and symptoms for a reason….because He gave us reason and rationality unlike animals in which we can “plan” for children but of course ALWAYS giving Him the final say and accepting His will. I hope that makes sense.

I have recently learned that within the NFP sect, that there are those like me who practice it in order to space out children so that finances have a chance to catch up and college tuitions can someday be paid, and then there are others who think any kind of planning is wrong. But consider what NFP is an accronym for….the latter word being planning. I for one do not think planning is necessarily sinful unless you are cutting God out completely like chemical or barrier contraceptives do. I have said this before and I’ll say it again, I plan for my retirement, my groceries for the week…why not for family?

As long as you have put Him in the driver’s seat, I doubt He minds if you make a request for where it is you want to go….but hey, maybe thats just me! Kudos for choosing life through NFP, either way you practice it, it will surely be a blessing to you and your family. And dont listen to the world, even if they are family and friends. I remember when Ryan and I first got married and we told people we were doing NFP. SOOO many said things like, “Yea, you guys are gonna like 20 kids, good luck with that, you’re crazy”. Well, we have one son and have been married for 4 1/2 years. We planned on having him along with the 2 other children that unfortunatley resulted in miscarriage. But never have we had what they refer to as “an accident”. ALthough some of them have due to failed contraceptives! Ironic.

Christopher West’s teachings on the Theology of the Body is endorsed by the Roman Catholic Church and is practically a prerequisite in many parishes for engaged couples, so feel safe to take his word as fact on church teachings. May peace be with you, Gina