Reply To: Anger

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums General Topics Anger Reply To: Anger

lynnt

I have been through counseling for severe depression and fought going on meds for years. The best thing I ever did for myself was to try it. I have had to have my prescription changed, but I am now on meds (wellbutrin, low dose) that help. I have a family history of severe depression and bipolar, so I was already predisposed to it.

I had severe PPD after my daughter’s birth. I was on prozac during my pregnancy with my son, and I did not experience PPD after his birth.

The meds help keep my irritability in check, as does daily prayer and getting enough sleep. I find if I don’t get enough sleep and/or I don’t start my day off with prayer, it doesn’t matter if I have taken my m eds or not, I am a little more touchy. So I need to have a combination of them.

I have tried to wean off the meds, but it does not work (for me, I’m sure other women are different). I have come to accept that I need them to function, just as a diabetic needs insulin. It’s not something to be ashamed of and if you need them, genuinely need them, don’t not take them because of any preconceptions you have about people on meds.

Pregnancy would make anyone more irritable, with all those hormones! If meds aren’t a viable option for you, and they might not help if your hormonal anyway, try praying always (even just short and simple prayers giving it up to the Lord), exercise (what a great way to get out aggression), or try to find the thing that brings you most peace. I like reading or crocheting…they relax me and it helps. It also helps to put yourself in time out when you feel a blow up coming on. I lock myself in the bathroom for a few minutes if I have to.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to deal with!