Reply To: Dealing with others comments on NFP

Welcome Catholic Moms! Forums Raising Great Kids! Dealing with others comments on NFP Reply To: Dealing with others comments on NFP

jamieanne

My hubby & I have one son and one daughter, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, “you have the perfect family”! I always want to ask, “What do you mean by ‘perfect'”–after all, they don’t know what goes on in our house & our lives–but I know that they mean that we conform to society’s expectations of what a family “should” be.

But I know several families with six or more children that seem to be very happy and healthy. The parents actually spend time with the children (often homeschooling them), and the children grow up learning to share and get along with others. I always try to say something positive and encouraging to the parents, to let them know that I support their awesome decision to raise a large family.

Instead of saying something like, “Are those all yours?”, I say, “Wow–Christmas must be fun at your house!”, or “You are SO blessed!”

Parenting is such a challenge nowadays that we need to remember to encourage and uplift one another instead of criticizing. I love those humorous responses to the rude things people say–it’s just too bad that so many people think it’s their business how many blessings a couple feels led to have :)