sillara

I understand, really. I also home-school, but unlike many now-home-schooling mothers, I WAS home-schooled. My mother was one of the first to do it, and she did it for the freedom of not having to send us to whatever school happened to be around. (She and my father are Protestant missionaries, and I grew up in non-English-speaking countries.) I knew going into it that I would have to give up massive amounts of time. I have three children, and my oldest is also 7. I have a BA in Communications, and my MA is in Shakespeare. Do I feel like I am wasting my time? Not at all. Is it difficult and frustrating at times? VERY! :? However, sending our daughters to public school is absolutely out of the question. I wouldn’t send them to public school in the US, let alone here in Japan! The only English-language Catholic school is over an hour away, and it is prohibitively expensive. :cry: So I do what I can because I must. It is my responsibility to train and educate my children. Fortunately, my husband is very understanding, and he doesn’t mind my going out with my sisters or something. To keep my mind sharp, well, I write. And I study Latin. I eventually hope to get a degree in Canon Law, so I figured I should study Latin on my own while I could.

I sympathize with wanting to get out. I really do. It is really difficult, and if your husband could manage it, I would recommend your going out without your son once a week, to take a class or to join a club–just to do something to get out of the house. But believe me, this time will not last forever. I’ve been homeschooling since my oldest (now in third grade) was in kindergarten. It goes faster than you would think, and once it’s gone, it’s gone for good. :(