sillara

Wow! This thread has been very enlightening to me to read. I am in sort-of a similar situation to some of yours. I have three daughters, aged 7, 6, and 4. I am a recent convert to Catholicism (a year ago last Sunday!), but even when I was Protestant I was skeptical of BC. Well, I am pretty much a stay-at-home-mom. I have a part-time job teaching at our local Catholic school, but I am quitting that come spring! (Too much what with home-schooling our own.) But about the birth control things.

My own pregnancies were rough. I nearly did not survive the birth of our second daughter, and had it not been for our wonderful Catholic hospital (which we chose on purpose, despite being Protestant :P ) I would have lost my fertility if not my life. After my third baby, my husband did not want us to have any more. It is *very* difficult on my body, and I tend to have premature babies. I had to have surgery during the third pregnancy to tie my cervix shut to prevent premature delivery. So, as Protestants, we used the *GRAPHIC ALERT*

withdrawal method.

It was messy and unpleasant, but it worked. However, after our conversion to the Catholic Church, I tried to convince my husband not to use that method any more. Eventually, he agreed. Lately we have not even been using NFP. :P We are trusting that God will work everything out as He wills. If He wants us to have more, we will. No, we do not have a lot of money, and we live in a tiny, rented house. But our children are healthy and happy, and they are devoted to the Church. What more could we want?

On a side note, my Protestant mother had her tubes tied after her third baby. She has regretted it her entire life. My father once told me that his greatest regret in life was encouraging my mother in that decision. My Protestant sisters have three children apiece, and they are not likely to have more; but even my youngest sister, who has to have C-sections every time, would not get a tubal ligation. The permanency is just too much, even for Protestants who believe in birth control.

For all those out there who are still considering, please don’t!